Thursday, February 08, 2007

Bangkok final moments

While on his chores this morning Victor's taxi driver spoke English and they discussed many important issues, including picking us up for the airport at 3:30 in the morning. The plan now set and being Transportation Minister, it is my job to stay awake after dinner so we don't miss the plane. I nap so that I can stay awake later.

Our last dinner and we again go to a favorite, Zanzifar on Soi 11. This is where Victor had the best steak ever and we enjoyed some hokey one man band live music and a bit too much wine. This time I ordered some Sushi appetizers for us and ended up getting the sushi ice-cream cone things. Not expecting this we found it difficult to share them but did try. I just wanted regular California rolls. So this is what I ordered for my dinner and it was perfect!

We get home and I watch some of the strangest late night TV ever produced. Dr. 90210? Ever hear of it?

I successfully don't fall asleep. We do catch our taxi. And we are selected by the United Airlines staff to both get on the plane as standby customers and to sit in Business Class for both of our flights. We are thrilled.

I unsuccessfully don't fall asleep the whole trip home which included a 4.5 hour flight Bangkok to Narita, a 4 hour layover and an 8.5 hour flight Narita to San Francisco. It is again morning when we land and I think I have now been up for two full days. With the time difference it is really only a day and a half. We were going to stop at the Asian Grocery and pick up our Thai fixings for this coming week and then drive home to Groveland, but I couldn't keep my eyes open. We get a hotel room and I crash for the afternoon and missed the Superbowl. It's good to be back home.

No comments: