Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Bangkok Dental hell

Victor has decided that since he needs so much dental work, it is only fair that I too get something more done. He suggests a whitening treatment. I am feeling some guilt that I got off so easily on the dental end of the trip that I agree. He has made an appointment for me today.

Ugh! I never should have signed up for this teeth whitening. First they have me sign a release that says I might not enjoy success and every patient has a different out come. Then we pull a color sample and the process begins.

It is painful.

I figure I can stand the pain if I know how much longer it is going to last. I can't talk and swallowing causes the laser to burn my lip. I point at my wrist and mime a watch...How much longer? Nobody understands the question. I am asked several times if I am okay. I am determined to make it through the hour and nod yes. But I have to keep swallowing and my lip is now in pain along with my teeth. I begin to quiver and can't make it stop. The next time I am asked if I am okay, I can't lie anymore, I am surely not okay, get this stuff out of my mouth. Tears have started rolling and I can't make them stop. They can't get it out fast enough. She makes me stay in the chair until I calm down. I pretend to, and am released. But as soon as I see Victor again the watershed flows.

I can't believe how painful this is. He says my teeth look great. Then comes the closer. I am given an instruction sheet....no coffee, tea or cigarettes for a week. Well, that just isn't going to work. They should have given me these rules before the procedure. I would have waited until I was off coffee and had quit smoking before putting myself through this. Well, I hope I am one of the lucky ones that can smoke an occasional cigarette and enjoy a cup of coffee without restaining my teeth.

We head back to the condo and I crash for a few hours.

No comments: