Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Bangkok Saxophone

Today is Wednesday and I am halfway through my free time for the internet. I don't want to be on the web when Victor is not in school. How boring for him to wait for me. And I am only up to Hong Kong....I have to write faster! Readers will notice that in my haste I am lacking in spell check. I shall edit later!

We repeat our morning ritual of Soi 11, breakfast, a walk and then go our separate ways. We plan to meet again late in the day as Victor has another dentist appointment after school. I blog and dine. This time I venture back to Silom, near the Sofitel for sushi. It isn't nearly as good as when Victor and I had it earlier in the week.

Returning home I research again for a new restaurant and find something called Saxophone over near Victory Monument. This is listed as nightlife, entertainment, not food. Before dinner we head over to the British Pub that we found yesterday and meet Scott, the owner. He confirms that Saxophone is a great place to hear good music and suggests we eat there (perhaps as a convenience, certainly not for the quality of the dining experience!)

We successfully train over and find the right place, sit for dinner. It is so dark that the waitresses hold little flashlights so you can read the menu. I am a great browser of menus and am given my own flashlight for the evening. We enjoyed the starters. Victor ordered a steak, which we have learned is not a good thing to do if it is priced under $20 US. The Thai beef comes from cows that were previously working beasts, not field fed all their lives...a bit tough to say the least. Thai cooking of meats is generally Medium Well to Well, which does nothing to enhance the tenderness of a steak.

The evening was not a waste, the music was fabulous. Victor is an old hand at the Saxophone and the band had 3 sax players and another 5 musicians. We very much enjoyed this evening, but with school and dentist, it was not a late night.

No comments: