Friday, February 02, 2007

Bangkok, Chatuchak Weekend Market

This market is enormous and very hot. We are here early. We are almost always up early. Today is no exception! We see stall after stall, all with seemingly the same goods. Then every once in a while, I see something that will catch my eye, but if we aren't actually shopping, then I just keep walking as Victor is usually ahead of me by several yards and we will lose each other if I stop. I figure if we see it once, we will see it again. (I hope!)

We stop for a breakfast, but I order Thai food, Victor gets eggs. I order a lemon juice, but it comes with ice and I wonder if I should drink it. We are staying away from drinking tap water and we don't know where the ice came from. We both decide to go for it. Victor drinks his very quickly so that too much of the ice won't have melted. I fret all day about this and am sure I am going to get ill. We are vigilant about not eating at the food carts. They often smell and look so good, but seem to lack any sanitariness (is there such a word?)

We continue our non-shopping walk through the market looking here and there and then down this row and where are the fish? We get hot again and need beverages and find ourselves back at the same place we had breakfast. We have a beer.

We are done and can't find the exit. We have to ask someone who proceeds to give us directions that were seemingly easy as they were being delivered, but became confusing when we followed them. We did finally get out of the market and found the Sky Train. This is nicer than the subway as it is above ground, providing for some views along the way.

No comments: